Thread: Ping Fix - Lets lower your latency problem

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan

Lightbulb Ping Fix - Lets lower your latency problem

Hi all,
    I saw a lot of latency reports while browsing the forums and thought this might come in handy. The leatrix latency fix.

-- The fix lowered my ping in many games before but I always validate if the server communication is smooth by uninstalling it flushing my dns and count my ping. Then after getting the numbers I re-install it and compare to see if the leatrix fix made any difference.

Prime world's servers (the US) before the leatrix fix was giving me 52-47, and 31-29 after. With Russian players the ping was 79-61 average and after the fix it went down to 50-41.

The script has no impact on the software of any game, it's just a script running to disable the way windows handles the communication between your machine and the servers through the registry keys. More information is on the website too in case you need it.

Also, I'll post leatrix's simple explanation of what it does along with the link to the FAQ below.

How It Works

Online games generally use the TCP protocol which requires that network segments sent to your computer be acknowledged in order to provide a reliable connection.

Windows bundles these acknowledgements together and sends them in pairs. While this is an efficient way of dealing with them generally, the inevitable delays caused by the bundling process increase latency considerably.

This is because when Windows queues up an acknowledgement in order to bundle it with the following one, the game server has to wait for the acknowledgement timer to expire before sending new data.

Leatrix Latency Fix removes the acknowledgement bundling process so that an acknowledgement is sent immediately for every segment that's received. This produces a significant reduction in latency as there is no longer a delay before new data is sent to your computer.

In a normal networking environment, you would prioritize network efficiency over latency and use the Windows defaults, but in online games the opposite is true and you want the lowest latency you can possibly get.

Typical Scenario

If you could listen to a conversation between your computer and the game server, this is what you would hear.

Before Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:

Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over to you, got it?"
    Your computer: ...
    Server: "Come on, answer me! I don't have all day! Stop wasting time!"
    Your computer: ...
    Server: "Ok, forget it, I've waited long enough, sending another one over! Got it?"
    Your computer: "Yep, got that one, also got the one you sent before, thanks."
    Server: "Well, why didn't you acknowledge the first one when I sent it? I was waiting ages!"
    Your computer: "Sorry, I'm just trying to make the network more efficient by bundling the acknowledgements together in pairs. This is how I'm setup by default."

After Leatrix Latency Fix is installed:

Server: "Ok computer, I just sent a data packet over, got it?"
    Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
    Server: "That was fast! Ok, here's another, got that?"
    Your computer: "Yep, send the next!"
    Server: "Wow! What an improvement! Now that's more like it!"
    Your computer: "Yep, it's certainly keeping me on my toes, thanks!"

--------------
    Hope this helps, it's not a cure but it's a remedy.

Also, if you don't want to run the script you can disable the registries manually if you know how to work with regedit and your command prompt (but I seriously suggest you don't mess around with those too much).

Have fun all.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    Indeed a great ping reducer. Been using it for 3+ years now. Definitely recommend it.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    xoxo
    Please be advised if you are using any 3rd party applications that we can not provide support for you if issues arise with your game. I understand from a technical level that it may not happen in this case, but I am saying it anyways.

Know that programs like this do not actually improve your latency to the server, but improve the acknowledgment of packets. Some games, including ours do make a fuss when the connection is not "speaking" quick enough so it may help those at far distances from the server and with high network congestion, otherwise you may not see an improvement in gameplay despite the ping saying it is actually lower.

Funny enough Ill give it a shot and see what kind of improvement it has for me on the RU server.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    BRAIN
    WOW, where has this been my whole life? Screw network efficiency!

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    IEC
    Going to give this a go. Here is hoping living on the opposite side of the world is sufficient to help with "speaking" to the server

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    2ez
    This is basically how a virus can spread. Downloading programs which do something which can be done in easily without a program.

I am not saying that this is a virus, but who would download this?
    There are help articles on the microsoft website to configure this. Some people might be afraid a bit working directly in the registry, but seriously, following this is a safer way than downloading some obscure program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890/EN-US

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    BRAIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Varonth View Post
    This is basically how a virus can spread. Downloading programs which do something which can be done in easily without a program.

I am not saying that this is a virus, but who would download this?
    There are help articles on the microsoft website to configure this. Some people might be afraid a bit working directly in the registry, but seriously, following this is a safer way than downloading some obscure program.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890/EN-US
    Thanks for the link.

I downloaded the program and installed it with no viruses.

Between my antivirus and the fact that this is a very well documented program/download, I would not suspect it as a virus in the first place. Furthermore, most viruses come in the form of a single executable file with some kind of name or file size that sounds fishy. This has many files with names that make sense.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    xoxo
    Id like to report it did not improve anything for me personally.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    BRAIN
    I am noticing a huge improvement. It is the difference between playable and unplayable for me.

Prime Battalion
    Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    AE
    There are multiple ways to do this manually and it is rather easy to do so. There are a huge amount of guides on how to do it, can take about 5 minutes or less depending on your computer skills.

With just a quick search of 'latency fix' on youtube, i found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rhWeL4L_pI a quick tutorial on how to do it manually. Not exactly how i would do it but it gets the job done.

When I did this several years ago it brought me from 150ish latency down to 70ish. And for this game it brought me down to 30ish on US servers.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    yup, that works as well. Leatrix's way has been around for ages though; I originally downloaded it to fix my latency issues in FEZ online (and FEZ shutdown years ago). It's still featured in the WoW website as well but in case you're not using windows (or if you're afraid of running the script) you could still follow those instructions in the video and end up with the same effect.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    CARE
    Using it since old days in WoW, can only recommend this.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    -ExD-
    *Bump*

This is a must have if you play primeworld and have ping problems
    Last edited by -Vanity-; 07-05-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Click the links for Primeworld content! Hit the Follow/Subscribe buttons for more! Thx!
    {Twitch Channel} - {Youtube Channel}

Stranger
    Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    -McG-
    Thank you Vanity. You motivate everytime. But nevertheless the game is unplayable in Germany.

My first games are always ok. 80- max 100 ping but at prime time it switch to this enormous lags.

Nival get a grip and buy an European Server...

but I am not really sure it would solve the problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PW-11.2-0.170.19.84672-2017.07.04-20.15.45.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	561.3 KB 
ID:	116918  

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    -McG-
    i am playing at 210-250 ping, here from India

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    -ExD-
    Leatrix does help at reducing ping problems but if its too high like yours I don't know if it will help.

Remember another thing that could help is resetting your internet =)
    Click the links for Primeworld content! Hit the Follow/Subscribe buttons for more! Thx!

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    RK
    Even though my ISP has gone shitty since they got bought out, I'm able to play on 1 Prime World server with almost stable 255 ping which is around the lowest I've ever had. At night, the internet is congested (from my state's exchange) so Prime World and even local game servers like CSGO lagg and get packetloss. Ironically, my ISP seems to have cheaped out majorly with connections to US and 255 ping is actually better than what I get to most US states...

About Leatrix, I found it didn't work well with Windows 10 and when you have packetloss. I found TCP Optimizer slightly better (than nothing): https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    -ExD-
    Quote Originally Posted by Are You A Wiiizard View Post
    About Leatrix, I found it didn't work well with Windows 10 and when you have packetloss. I found TCP Optimizer slightly better (than nothing): https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    Thanks for providing an alternative =) It really helps others that need it ^-^