Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.   Thread: underused hero

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa

underused hero

i noticed that there are some heros you almost never see in battles and even though i dont know a way to make them all more attractive i thought id atleast post a possible way to do it for marksman. even if you keep all his abilities and stats the same a simple +1 range would give him the extra edge that would attract alot of people. and since he's able to crush the characters that many people call OP (sesha and da'ka) making him more common would probably bring those complaints down.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    Hawt
    lol Marksman not popular. There's no reason to make him more popular like this, just raise awareness that he's the perfect counter to healing opponents like Sesha/Ha'Ka/etc. Buffing a hero that doesn't need it ends up making him OP, and then he'll be required in every game, kinda like how Ha'Ka/Witch are atm.
    Russians troll each other just as badly as they troll us, so we can take comfort in the fact that they'll get trolled eventually, too.
    Spoiler Text

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    im not saying we should make him OP just make him attractive, and a +1 range would fit that. he would still be hard to play due to his skills requiring good placement and timing and he would be just as squishy as ever. a modest adjustment of this level would make people see him as more unique and want to play him, bringing him from rare to uncommon. hopefully.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    Hawt
    That's just it, though. A +1 range is a huge deal. That will make him OP, as he will be able to shoot further than other dps. As a basis for comparison, towers have a range of 20. Going from 14 to 15 range would end up allowing enough extra range that he can hit any other ranged dps, and they wouldn't be able to hit back. The range given by +1 range is so great that he's able to move out of range easily, especially with a speed boost, which is built-in to his horn.
    Russians troll each other just as badly as they troll us, so we can take comfort in the fact that they'll get trolled eventually, too.
    Spoiler Text

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    Marksman costs more silver so he's more inaccessible to newer players. He also has a higher skillcap and his laning is worse due to lack of good waveclear. Archer is a very good hero that practically eclipses all auto attackers.

That said, I love my int marksman; he's the ultimate team support. A pure int build can buff himself and his team with huge amounts of agi and cunning, enabling them to destroy seshas much easier.

I don't think marksman needs a buff. He's already strong enough.
    Twitch TV Livestream: www.twitch.tv/exlor1986

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    it isnt that big of a deal, he still needs to position himself so his skill wont hit a recruit and the best way to do that is be to the side or behind a hero, reducing his chances to take advantage of it. and even though it does give him a slight edge many hero's still have ways around it. to give 3 examples: archer can blink closer use her slow skill and easily kill the squishy marksman. blizzard will tear him to shreds as normal. and jeagar can do his normal troll attack from behind that the marksman cant escape (due to slow down and lack of health).

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    Hawt
    Quote Originally Posted by MDB View Post
    it isnt that big of a deal, he still needs to position himself so his skill wont hit a recruit and the best way to do that is be to the side or behind a hero, reducing his chances to take advantage of it. and even though it does give him a slight edge many hero's still have ways around it. to give 3 examples: archer can blink closer use her slow skill and easily kill the squishy marksman. blizzard will tear him to shreds as normal. and jeagar can do his normal troll attack from behind that the marksman cant escape (due to slow down and lack of health).
    Blizzard won't get a chance to get close, as I said, since +1 range is such a big amount. A normal lane minion has a width of 1 range (that little circle surrounding them when you select them), so imagine that much of a difference on a hero's autoattack, especially on one that can speed himself up so that the opponent can never catch up to him. You'd have no choice but to try to sneak up on him, as his range would be superior to all other ranged attacks, including Shogun's jump, Blizzard's ult, etc.
    Spoiler Text

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    he also has abilities, and they dont scale with his range. in order to use his own abilities he would have to get closer. and blizzard has an area of effect as well as something that slows down said area she could catch him with ease allowing her to use her ult. i havent played the warlord but from what i read on his wiki he can charge 'selected' hero so im assuming as long as he is in his vision he can charge him. and even if he isnt a short walk when the marksman is distracted will fix that.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    BRAIN
    marksman thread and no stratovarious post yet ? :/
    18.5.13-21.1.14
    never forget rip in peace

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    Hawt
    Well, either way, he doesn't need a boost to range. He's fine as he is. Just that there's too few people who use him. Nival doesn't need to boost him and potentially break him to get people to use him. We can promote him ourselves.

There's always the risk of breaking a hero - just look at the Sesha 9.11 rebalance and how he's still OP because he can jungle much faster than any other jungler. Claw's rebalance didn't do anything much to help him keep up with Sesha, other than giving him extra sustain power through tier 1, which still doesn't help him kill faster. Witch and Ha'Ka are still OP as heck since their release, though I was glad to hear Tsuda mention how they're due for rebalances soon. Honestly, there's more important things for Nival to worry about at the moment than giving a small boost to an underused hero.
    Spoiler Text

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    but heres the thing you just mention 2 heros that they intend to rebalance (hopefully) and both of them wouldnt need as drastic of changes if marksman was even slightly more popular. increasing his range by +1 wouldnt be too big of a power increase, if somthing goes wrong fixing it wouldnt be to hard (due to it being only one stat and one digit), youd increase the variety of heros people play, and youd make the complaints over sesha and Da'ka decrease. essentially youd be trying to kill 3 birds with a tiny stone, even if it comes back and hits your window it'd at most leave a scratch you can easily buff out. it seems like the quite the minimalist and simplest approach to a multitude of problems

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    Hawt
    A multitude of problems? Honestly, I only see one person complaining about Marksman, and that's you. He's underused, perhaps, but that's no reason to go around doing unneeded buffs. Word of mouth is another way to solve his underuse, yet you want Nival to take their time to fix it for you instead of doing it yourself. I have nothing more to say on the matter. My opinion has been stated, so I have no more reason to speak here.
    Spoiler Text

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    i have never stated my own complaint throughout our debate. from the forums that i have read the complains i keep hearing are "marksman is underused" "Da'ka is OP" "Sesha is OP" so i put forth a suggestion on how to remedy those issues. i want nival to consider my suggestion for more then just the underuse but also to take a load of their back. after all with all these people complaining about Da'ka and Sesha they will probably have to deal with it sooner or later and when they do it they wont have to do nearly as much if they simply up a single stat by 1. also i dont really care about how much marksman is used but if he is used more then Da'ka and Sesha wont be as much of an issue for the developers, im simply trying to help.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    HC
    Heroes really need to be built right to unlock their potential, too. Any hero will seem underpowered if they have the wrong talents. I'm a big experimenter and have tried to make custom builds that use quirky talents, but the reality is that stacking certain attributes by using the optimal talents makes a night and day difference with a hero's combat power.

So, if Marksman seems underpowered, also make sure that you have the right talents on him. Look around for builds.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    no no, i dont think hes underpowered at all. he's simply underused, so i came up with somthing that will make him stand out among the crowd and attract people to use him without completely revamping him.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    Hawt
    no no, i dont think hes underpowered at all. he's simply underused, so i came up with somthing that will make him stand out among the crowd and attract people to use him without completely revamping him.
    You didn't even read what I wrote, did you? Instead of relying on Nival to solve your problems, how about solving it yourself? Advertise about how good he is. Convince people to play him on your own, rather than rely on Nival for a cheap fix. This fix you're suggesting is not something needed. Marksman doesn't need this to become better-known. There are plenty of things Nival should be working on than this. There's various other heroes that DO need reworks, and there's many issues within castle mode that still need solving, as well. The chat UI has been bugged to Hell and back since the start of Open Beta, as has the Ignore List, which, by the way, I'm tempted to add you if I ever see you considering your ignorance here. Nival does not need to potentially introduce a ton of new complaints about how Marksman suddenly became OP because they took the suggestion of a single individual to try to boost his popularity.
    Spoiler Text

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    if people arent playing him that is part of nival problem as well, theres no point in having a hero no one plays. he just takes up space. and it doesnt matter how much i tell people to play him, because he isnt easy to play he requires dedication and experience. and most people will see this difficulty and give up. a slight adjustment like this will make people want to play him more essentially offsetting his difficulty with his newfound individuality

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    ПЕКО
    if people arent playing him that is part of nival problem as well, theres no point in having a hero no one plays. he just takes up space. and it doesnt matter how much i tell people to play him, because he isnt easy to play he requires dedication and experience. and most people will see this difficulty and give up. a slight adjustment like this will make people want to play him more essentially offsetting his difficulty with his newfound individuality
    If people arent playing him thats their loss. Everyone wants stupid simple characters. Even if you "advertised him" he'd still be underplayed since you cant just pick him up and roflstomp like archer lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Lust View Post
    You lose 100% of the games you surrender.
    Why do you want to lose so bad?

of Kings of Kings of Kings
    Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    IEC
    i didn't read everyone's since i see them all the time and because if you go up in rating there is 90% a chance tthat you are going up against marksman in every game or two.. you just wan't around to see it
    have a nice day

Stranger
    Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    HDKN
    In my opinion Wanderer is underused, really rare to see one.

But after the merge, in 3 from 5 Games vs. Russian, i have a wisp in Enemy Team, think they really like her.

21.     #21
    Assistant Community Manager
    Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    PoA
    I play Marksman once in a while and he's enjoyable to say the least. Holding on to a way to halve the healing enemies receive with a skill shot, the ability to bolster an entire team with a buff and granting movement speed to both himself and an ally turn this mildly underused hero into a force to be reckoned with. If anyone wants, you might come on Noble's Night and tell me to play it, I'll play any hero that I have and people wish to see.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    EOGa
    Quote Originally Posted by An Airborne Cat View Post
    If people arent playing him thats their loss. Everyone wants stupid simple characters. Even if you "advertised him" he'd still be underplayed since you cant just pick him up and roflstomp like archer lol.
    thats exactly my point, no matter how much i advertise him people arent going to go to him because theres nothing really attractive about him "so what if he can beat 2 of the many OP characters? their going to get nerfed one day anyway. he's to hard to play so im not gonna bother and play as {insert easier hero} instead" however if you give him somthing unique you can reply to that comment "but hes the only hero in the game with 15 range, isn't that cool?" "...a little. i guess i'll give him a try".
    and even if you dont try to trump for it people search for individuality, go on to the wiki and read vampire/quarrier at the bottom you'll find a 'trivia' section that says "quarrier has the highest fortitude" "vampire has the highest HP" because people want to see that

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sting2saw View Post
    In my opinion Wanderer is underused, really rare to see one.

But after the merge, in 3 from 5 Games vs. Russian, i have a wisp in Enemy Team, think they really like her.
    i believe you are correct, i havent seen him very much myself. however i made this topic in order to remedy 3 problems i know about "marksman is underused" "Da'ka is OP" "Sesha is OP" with one simple stat digit. im not trying to fix every problem in the game. after all ive heard from alot of people that the witch is OP but i havent mentioned a way to fix that because i have no idea how.

---------- Post added at 08:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed21081 View Post
    I play Marksman once in a while and he's enjoyable to say the least. Holding on to a way to halve the healing enemies receive with a skill shot, the ability to bolster an entire team with a buff and granting movement speed to both himself and an ally turn this mildly underused hero into a force to be reckoned with. If anyone wants, you might come on Noble's Night and tell me to play it, I'll play any hero that I have and people wish to see.
    im sure he is enjoyable, i look forward to playing him myself. but that doesnt make him popular. he is still underused, and his underuseage makes other problems more prominent (da'ka and sesha) so more people complain about it. so i thought of a minimalist way to remedy 3 problems and get some weight off of the programmers backs, since you are a staff member i request you tell them of this suggestion and see what they think.