Thread: The Ultimate Castle Guide for New Players

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan

The Ultimate Castle Guide for New Players

Hello,

my name is Paja and I decided to share some tips for the castle layout / production and goals for newer players. Iam doing this because I wished some guide like this was awailable when I first started playing. So lets get to it:

The Layout

This layout provides the following spots:

3x - 8x8 - 3 prime crystal production
    17x - 6x6 - 15 production buildings, 2 warehouses
    7x - 5x5 - 1 spa/inn, 1 library, 5 big houses
    7x - 4x4 - 1 tavern/team, 6 medium houses
    6x - 3x3 - 6 small houses

This is the most optimal build for production of materials and prime crystals.

You definitely want full 15 production buildings to have highest income possible in order to upgrade everything faster.

Since prime crystals are THE defining currency, you want to start running full three prime production from the start, make sure you upgrade them to level 2 ( dont upgrade any more ) and get a friend inside them to double to production.

Talent production is not present in this build... First of all, you receive tons of talents from playing the game, secondly prime crystals are needed to upgrade hero building when you reach lvl 30 ( believe me you will need a lot of them ), also talent production eats one 6x6 spot and also a ton of population capacity, so I advice you to skip them until youre maxed on everything else.

As for the regular production buildings, make sure you have enough friends / guildmates to boost production, it really helps. As for the production distribution itself, I run 6 farms for food / shrooms, 6 mills for wood / silk, 1 mine for ore / sap. The last two spots I alter between the three types based on which resource I need most at the moment - usually its two more mines, but when have plenty of stones, i switch them to farms / mills.

In the super early game ( first few days ) when your mines are low level you may need to run more than three in order to supply enough for your prime production. ( depending on how much you play and how much stones you get from leveling up )

The last two 6x6 spots are for warehouses. Each time you level up, you get some resources, so make sure that before leveling up you have enough storage space for the materials you will receive.

The rest is population houses, one quest building, one vigor building, and one library. Later you can swap one 4x4 house for a clan house.

As for silver, I didnt include the manufactory - it takes one 6x6 spot, gives you silver which is generally useless when leveling castle and consumes wood that you need. I dont recomment running manufactory until the lategame.

Leveling

Level all the buildings simultaneously, focus on the production buildings, get prime production to level 2 and leave it there. Only upgrade population houses when youre out of capacity.

As you can see in this guide:

http://en.playpw.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70693

leveling production up to lvl 9 is quite cheap, then it gets a lot more epxensive. So make sure you have all 15 buildings on lvl 9 before you start upgrading further. After lvl 9 the next goal is to get everything to lvl 12 where another friend slot becomes available. After that the next goal is to start working towards lvl 21.

Dont level warehouses too much, unless youre running out of capacity or are about to level up and receive the bonus materials. If you see the exp meter is getting close, you can swap one production for a third warehouse for the next game.

Library gives you more capacity for talents. If you upgrade purple talents with green crap regularly, you wont need more than one library. If you like to hoard talents you may need two libraries or even more. Upgrading it costs stones / sap, which you will have plently to spare if you play a lot and level up your castle. I was leveling quite fast the first few days I played and I had to dump my stones into leveling library - got it really far ahead of the other buildings.

As for tavern / tea house, dont level that too much, or you will have trouble meeting the requirements for heroes stats, I stopped at lvl 12. The vigor bulding ( spa / inn ) gives nice bonus to regenation and allows to restore vigor for silver, upgrade it a bit, but its not necessary to upgrade it a lot....

If you follow this guide ( no talent production, no silver production, prime production only lvl 2 ) you shouldnt have trouble with population capacity - generally your houses will be underleveled, so when you actually run out of capacity, upgrading them will be super cheap ( compared to your production )

Well, thats about it,
    let me know if you find this guide helpful or if you have any issues / tips for better efficiency.

PS: This guide is only applicaple for maximum production / leveling speed. It doesnt concern the late-game - after level 30.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    -
    *clap*
    *clap*
    *clap*
    Are you the castle master now? You just might well be.
    The closest floor plan I've come up with is the following,

Which just trades out 2 4x4s for an extra 5x5, and which I currently use on my smurf.
    Knowing 4x4 houses are more population efficient, and knowing that your plan has slightly has less blank spaces though, I'll defo need to make some changes.

With that out of the way, the only part I might disagree with/doesn't suit my playstyle is leaving out room for any manufacturies. Silver is way too important to a guy that doesn't play much(on that account, at least) but that eventually wants to play as witch to be not be making a tonne of.
    In addition, I kinda feel as if warehouse costs are grossly exaggerated - at least to get up to a serviceable level. So long as they can hold enough to make it over the upgrade threshold of any other building they don't need to go any higher. Then by the time all your production buildings can't possibley go higher you can bump it up again in like a couple of hours, max.

EDIT:
    A fully operational PajaKulebrc Castle. Isn't she a beauty?
    Last edited by Australia13239; 11-06-2013 at 11:33 PM.

Faction
    The Imperium
    Clan
    I agree that warehouses are quite expensive when going to higher levels... if you invest lot of money into it, you can get away with just one warehouse and use the extra spot for manufactory.

As for silver - also agree that if you dont play much and dont get silver from games that often manufactory might be more important in order to get silver for purchasing heroes... I myself play couple of games each day which nets me about 10k silver every day, way more than manufactory could produce.

Faction
    The Keepers
    Clan
    BRAIN
    Hey, nice thread
    I was playing with a similar setup, however I have found that with a slight rearrangement you can trade a 3x3 house and a 4x4 house with a 5x5. It gives the same population, but is cheaper to level, so slightly more efficient overall
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheCastle.PNG 
Views:	189 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	111550

In my own castle (which is only level 9 atm, wiped my account to faction change), I make a small change to get another 6x6 in order to have a talent forge too - as someone who is playing entirely free (ie no gold purchases like GA) I really like the faster access to talents to improve my heroes more quickly.

Here it is:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MyCastle.PNG 
Views:	126 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	111551
    Still unsure if there's a better arrangement population-wise that includes 18 6x6s and 3 8x8s, but we'll see